Apparently if I mention the weather forecast for tomorrow’s Firs Fete then I will jinx it so instead I will just say that it’s going to be a great afternoon of fun and fundraising! I hope that everyone and their family and friends is coming along to help celebrate our wonderful school community. A huge thank you must go to Mrs Kay and her band of helpers…it’s going to be brilliant! Hopefully lots of you are baking this evening with your children in order to enter the family bake off tomorrow! Isn’t baking supposed to be one of those family bonding moments?!!
This week our cricket and rounders teams from Years 3 and 4 travelled to AbbeyGate College for a three way tournament also involving Rydal Penrhos School. It was the first fixture for our young rounders team and they narrowly lost both games. Our cricketers found success with resounding victories in both games and are eagerly awaiting their next fixture against Terra Nova Prep. Mr Girvan and Miss Fearnley were extremely pleased with the teamwork and sense of fair play shown by all pupils.
Year 6 are now in the middle of their busy end of term schedule! Their class assembly on Tuesday told us a little bit about the upcoming play, A Midsummer Night’s Dream. They are performing this ‘in the round’ over two nights to smaller audiences and I know it will be fantastic (I’ve seen some rehearsals!). Tickets are on sale now in the office priced £5 for adults and £2 for children with all profits going to the Year 6 charities, Blue Cross for Pets and The Samaritans. The two performances are on Thursday 29th and Friday 30th June starting at 6pm. Please note that this production is not suitable for children under 6 as it is a Shakespearean play and is quite long. Come and support our wonderful pupils! Yesterday year 6 pupils had a very successful ‘Moving On’ day in which they undertook workshops on High School Blues, What’s Puberty?, Self-defence and Cyber safety. The outside speakers commented about how mature and thoughtful our pupils are.
Today our Eco Warriors are off to see our school chickens in their new home. We will also be able to visit them in the future and report on their well being. We have new plans for our Millennium Trail area which will come to fruition over the next year during our Friday afternoon Extra Extra cross curricular projects. Many stories about school and the things our pupils get up to outside school are written in the first edition of ‘Firs News’ which is also an Extra Extra! Initiative. You can read this pupil edited online newspaper at;
An email is coming home to all parents today explaining our staffing structure for September 2017. Please make sure that you have received this. Your child’s final report this year will be coming home on Friday 30th June giving you time also to respond with any queries.
Our sports day will be held at the Kingsway University playing fields on Wednesday 21st June from 1pm until 3.30pm. This will involve all pupils from Reception to Year 6 from 1pm and Kindergarten pupils will join at 2pm. The Fir Cones nursery class will not be involved. Parents and friends are very welcome, please bring along chairs, water and a hat (we hopefully anticipate sunshine!!). There will be no clubs after school on this day but Night Owls will run as usual. At the end of sports day we will be holding our Race For Life event which will be in aid of Cancer research, please help your child get sponsors for this important event, and don’t forget that you can run in it yourself!
Please make a note of the following points:
- On June 22nd we will be having our third Food bank donation of the academic year. As usual plastic boxes will be put out in the entrance hall for your generous donations.
- A case of KIndergarten chicken pox has been reported to us recently so please be on the look out for signs in your children. Children must not come to school when the spots/sores are still open, they should be completely dried out. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- On July 6th we will be making our first donation to the charity Sal’s Shoes www.salshoes.com .This charity collects unwanted pairs of children’s shoes and sends them to countries abroad where they are greatly needed. Please have a look through your cupboards for any old pairs of children’s shoes, wellies, slippers, trainers etc and put them together with a rubber band into a clear plastic bag. They ask that £1 is taped to the bottom of one of the shoes for the transportation costs of delivering the shoes onwards. Again plastic boxes will be put out after the foodbank donations have been delivered.
- A plea to nominate us to win £5000 of national book tokens. Just go to this link and fill in your details and nominate The Firs http://po.st/schools17
- Total swimming are offering a free lesson on Saturday 15th July. The online sign up is at: http://bit.ly/1OTTXti
- The Year 6 art will be displayed at Kingsway Campus later in June. All parents and friends are invited to view the inter-schools display in studio 60 from 26th-29th June.
- Don’t forget to get your child to do a short report for our online Firs News report if they have done anything extra exciting out of school recently. Our news crew from Extra!Extra! are waiting to receive articles at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only 1 week left to collect vouchers for the Sainsbury’s Active Kids initiative. Thank you for your donations so far…keep them coming please, we have a long school council wish list for PE equipment!
Congratulations to the following pupils who have gained their bronze award with 25 housepoints:
- Reuben Walker
- Vivian Schnitker
Congratulations to the following pupils who have gained their silver award with 50 housepoints:
- Renee Simmons
- Ruby Jones
- Johnny Stones
- Lucas Da Costa Olivo
Congratulations to the following pupils who have gained their gold award with 100 housepoints:
- Eleanor James
- Josh Gratton
Below are some of the remaining events this term:
- Saturday 17th June – FPG Summer Fair – 12-4pm
- Monday 19th June – National Schools Athletics competition in Birmingham -three of our pupils have been selected.
- Wednesday 21st June – Whole school sports day from 13:00 at Kingsway PLUS our sponsored Race for Life 3km event.
- Wednesday 21st June – Baby Brahms concert in our hall at 2.30pm for our Fir Cones nursery children plus any babies and toddlers from our community.
- Thursday 22nd June – Foodbank collection
- Wednesday 28th June – Cricket match v Terra Nova Prep School
- Thursday 29th and Friday 30th June at 6pm – Year 6 production of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’
- Friday 30th June – End of Year reports home
- Tuesday 4th July – EYFS and Infant prizegiving and celebration in our hall at 2pm for parents and pupils
- Wednesday 5th July – Junior speech day and prizegiving in our hall at 6pm for parents and pupils
- Thursday 6th July – deadline for SALS shoes donations
- Friday 7th July – End of year goodbye service in All Saints Church, Hoole at 2.15pm for all pupils and families.
First day of the new school year for pupils will be Wednesday 6th September.
Best wishes for a good weekend, please get around your family and friends for as many sponsors as possible for our Race for Life event at Sports day next week.
Mrs Lucy Davies, Headteacher