Nursery Class – 2 Year Olds
Our care is based on The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage.
We support children in using the three characteristics of effective teaching and learning. These are;
- playing and exploring – children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
- active learning – children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements; and
- creating and thinking critically – children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.
Our nursery sessions are play-based and develop in response to the children’s needs, interests and achievements. Staff encourage children to explore their interests and work to foster a high self esteem in each individual. Research shows how children who develop their own interests show higher levels of engagement and progress well within their own development and absorb more information.
Emphasis is placed on the prime areas of Communication and Language, Personal, Social and Emotional Education and Physical Development. We do this by encouraging children to talk about their experiences, play alongside and with their peers and engage in activities
During the day time is planned for physical development; inside and outside. There is group storytime, music and movement time, including number rhymes, songs and nursery rhymes.
Children have opportunity to access:
- Sand and water play
- Art and craft activities
- Large equipment including scooters and trikes
- Balls and similar equipment
- Role play and imaginative play
- Early maths and language activities
- Exploring the environment and nature
Activities are planned for specific areas, such as Literacy, Mathematics, Expressive Art and Design and Understanding the World.
Within the setting is opportunity for continuous provision to meet the development needs of our early learners.
Key information about Fir Cones Nursery
Morning session available from 07:45am until 12:45pm
Afternoon session available from 1pm until 6pm
Full days available
Year round provision is available, with S4YC offering provision in our setting during non-term time.